Friday, October 30, 2020

Objective Tokens and Scatter Terrain

A brief post today, I made a few objective tokens using some of the containers from Footsore North America for modern games. I patterned these after the loot containers that you come across in the The Division 2, a video game I've been enjoying greatly these past few months after picking it up on the cheap. 

In-game, you come across containers like these that contain an item of equipment, like a holster or backpack or chest rig. The Division 2 is a "looter-shooter" where you're frequently picking up new equipment in the open world and from defeated enemies, equipment that has varying stats and abilities to fortify your character, or "agent."

Longer containers like this one contain new weapons, anything from assault rifles to shotguns to sidearms.

If you pay special attention to your surroundings, you may encounter these orange containers hanging in the trees or from building scaffolding that contain equipment and camo patterns for your gear and weapons. 

 

This one is different in that Mad Robot makes this resin backpack for their 28mm figures. I just glued one to a base to represent a dropped pack of supplies.

You might be wondering, why the orange rims on the bases? The Division 2 features an in-game augmented reality component thanks to an AI that's always with you called ISAC, who highlights objects of interest and certainly any nearby loot containers in an orange light to contrast with the drab surroundings in the game. 

Overall, I'm impressed with these offerings. The Footsore containers definitely had sides that were intended to be displayed face-up due to many casting marks and pitting during casting on the opposite sides. Mad Robot has been consistently high-quality, and I've ordered from them a number of times to help establish a few units for a 28mm GI Joe project I'm on-again, off-again working on. 

Lastly, I have a few pieces of scatter terrain from Plastcraft's urban elements pack. 


Trash skip. Very liberating to paint something like this, where you can play with paint chipping and trash staining.

 This is a double-sided standing display. I chose to paint it as broken-down TV display, maybe for cyberpunk or more rundown modern boards. I tried to replicate a static effect for the display screens by stippling grey and white over a black base. I'm proud of how it turned out! The stand I used some watered-down orange paint for a rust effect, and drybrushed a silver on the edges to make it look run down.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I love small scenery pieces for games. I thought the cracked screen was aluminum foil at first, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doc! All the cool terrain for RE that you and Bloodbeard do was too much for me to resist!

      Delete