Monday, February 1, 2016

H:FB Swords of Sanghelios

I mentioned last post my desire to use a few extra Covenant ships as Swords of Sanghelios vessels. Anyone who has played Halo 5 has seen that all of the ground vehicles and aircraft up to the Lich use the same crimson that the ground troops use on their armor. Best as I can tell, the Swords' major warships use the same purple that the Covenant use. At least, I don't see any differences between Swords and Covenant ships at Sunaion, and there is a cool scene where you see a large group of Swords ships coming in over the ocean.

Borrring!

I wanted to go with the same colors that the rest of the Swords use, so with a few extra Covenant ships I went with that scheme, both because I like it and to serve as a trial run on what technique to use to paint the rest of my Covenant ships. Only one capital and one small element make this a bare-bones battlegroup, but it should be easy to fit into a mixed UNSC/Covenant fleet that I'm betting Spartan will eventually put rules out for. 
These ships were spray-primed Army Painter Pure Red, darkened down with a wash of GW Baal Red ink, the color was brought back up with some more Pure Red, and a light dry-brushing with P3 Molten Bronze to add that metallic slightly-bronze quality you can see in the game. Though the bronze really added pre-glosscoat, it got completely overpowered by the sealant.
Instead of trying metallics, I used a gloss finish to replicate the shiny, wet-looking metal Covenant ships have. I'm not convinced this is the way forward, but it beats buying and learning the ways of the airbrush at this point.




Some appropriately Sangheili-looking (I hope) markings for the heavy corvettes. SDVs have those broad flat noses that practically beg for special markings or some higher level blending of color. I'm not really able to do blending that well, but I can certainly paint simple markings.

Going forward, I'm undecided if this is how I want to handle the rest of my Covenant minis. They'll be the classic Covenant purple, and I'm deciding if a glossy-flat purple is preferable to a metallic purple. I don't have great faith in spraycan metallics so far, based on some poor past experiences. But, I'm looking at some alternate brands, and I could always try my hand at an airbrush...

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment