Monday, October 26, 2015

Progress on Space Station

How about some actual content?


I built this using a simple styrofoam block from Michael's crafts store with thin balsa wood sheets to cover, pretty much just as the BFG Dock I referenced a couple posts ago. I used some L-angled styrene strips to cover the joins between the planes of the station (and cover up some of my shoddier measurements). The whole thing is still a work-in-progress, but I am very pleased with how it's turning out. The whole thing is mounted on a spare H:FB base with eight small pegs for stability.

If you're familiar with Spartan Games scenery, you'll likely recognize pieces from their Military Buildings set, like the landing pads, the bio-domes, the hangar bay doors, and the hexagonal fortress piece you can make from the blister. The other buildings are part left-over 40K bits and styrene tubing and sheet to resemble miniature structures on the surface of the greater station. The comms array is an Infinity small base with tubing and 40K IG bits, and the sensor dish is an old MicroMachines piece. I used balsa sheets to add some extra height and varied structural details to the otherwise flat surface. Much still needs to be added to give it the look I'm hoping for.
The docks for my UNSC Fourth Fleet are simple wooden dowels placed at similar heights up the side to correspond with my minis, regardless if I used a small, medium, or large peg to mount the ship. The docks are particularly WiP, with plans to add docking tubes and styrene brackets to all docks and some miniature cranes/robotic arms to the two rectangular dock pieces.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment