Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Path of Radiance

I did it. I finally got myself a lightbox with which to take pictures! No longer must I feel shame towards my abysmal photo-fu skills! It can only get better from here! Let destiny submit itself to my ambition!

Well, maybe not. The product in question is a purchase from Amazon, a completely self-contained offering from a company called LimoStudio. For less than $44 USD, I consider this a fine purchase. What's more, my wife does her own jewelry-making as a side business of hers, so I got to score some bonus points with showing her how to set it up for her own jewelry pictures. Score! Link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CX9S8A/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted to try my new purchase with a few different subjects to test things out. Some Covenant ships to start from Halo: Fleet Battles, in a bright silver color which I hope is evocative of the nanolaminate plating on the CAS Assault Carrier.

Metallics require a bit of finagling. This is with fairly direct diffused lighting...


And this is more subdued lighting. Definitely darker, but doesn't wash out as much detail.
Next, a piece that was shown on my last post. A RCS-class Armored Cruiser, again from Halo, this time in gold.
Any Shipmaster would be proud to captain this cruiser now!
Next, from Star Wars Armada, a few Dramatis Personae of the Rebellion. I wished to see how this set-up could do with smaller objects and multiple colors.
My homeboys Dash Rendar and Han Solo flying with my homegirl Hera Syndulla. I nearly went insane painting these, the Ghost particularly.
Next, a darker piece. From Knight Models Batman Miniatures Game, Batman himself in his animated series incarnation.
Success! Modified the chest emblem. None of that "Red Sky Season" stuff here, please and thank you. 
Lastly, though you couldn't prove it by this blog (so far), I am a massive BattleTech fan, ever since I saw the cartoon as a kid 20 years ago. This piece is from the newest of the Clans, the Stone Lions.
The Mist Lynx B, a fine Light OmniMech designed by the long-gone Smoke Jaguars
Holy damn am I pleased with this product. I feel it is a massive upgrade over anything else I was using before, and for a good price too. Now that I have a feel for how the lighting affects the subject depending on it's positioning, I feel confident to post more pictures moving forward. I have a fair number of Halo ships to show as I gear up for a narrative campaign, so expect those to appear next.

No comments:

Post a Comment